29/05/2014

Tease by Amanda Maciel // book review


Title: Tease
Author: Amanda Maciel
Publisher: Hachette Children's Books
Genre: YA, Realistic Fiction
Published: 1st May 2014
Edition: Kindle*
Links: amazon // goodreads 

Emma Putnam is dead, and it's all Sara Wharton's fault.

At least, that's what everyone seems to think when Sara, along with her best friend and three other classmates, has been criminally charged for the bullying and harassment that led to Emma's shocking suicide. But Sara is sure she hasn't done anything wrong, because Emma brought it on herself. Sara is adamant that she was the victim - not Emma.






Although I do think that this book was brilliantly written, it is quite distressing and difficult to read. The story is told from the perspective of Sara, who in this case, is the bully. Her, along with her best friend Brielle and other friends Kyle, Jacob and Tyler all "tease" Emma to the point where she can't take it anymore. 

I'm finding it quite difficult to review this, only because it's based around such a difficult subject matter. Throughout most of the book, you will hate Sara, which is expected. But I hated Brielle more. We see the story about how they hated Emma from day one, without her having done anything in particular to them. In general, I didn't find the characters very relateable, but that is probably just the nature of the book. I wouldn't want to be able to relate to any of the characters anyway, because of the circumstances. Said like this, the book was actually well written. You don't WANT to be able to relate, you want to feel a distance from the characters.

The book continues on as Sara and Brielle become meaner and harsher with their "punishments" for Emma. Fake Facebook and Twitter profiles, mean things posted on there, it just gets worse and worse. I did find myself feeling a bit sorry for Emma, because she had been transferred between schools for many reasons, and she was just trying to fit in. But there are moments when you feel the complete opposite of sympathy towards Emma. She does things which make you think that she knew that what she was doing was wrong. For this reason, I felt quite confused whilst reading. I wasn't sure what emotions I was supposed to feel, who I was supposed to be rooting for. In a way, I liked this. The story kept changing suddenly, which kept me on the edge of my seat, wanting to read more. 

Yes, this was very difficult to read. I found myself feeling quite sorry for Sara as well, which again confused me, because I didn't want to feel sorry for her. But the characters were written so well, there were twists and turns which meant everyone got a little bit of attention.

All in all, I did enjoy this book, but I think it was for all the wrong reasons. I enjoyed it because I didn't relate to the characters, because I didn't want to. I enjoyed it because it gave me mixed feelings. I enjoyed it because it's unlike any book I've ever read before and gave me a new perspective on life and bullying. You can learn a lot from this book. Sometimes, you might do something that you don't think constitutes as bullying, but from someone else's eyes, it does. 

I do recommend reading Tease , if you're looking for a gripping read. However, if you struggle with serious topics, it's not one for you. I personally couldn't put it down, but I guess books like these aren't for everyone.


Eden xx
Follow me on: bloglovin // instagram // twitter // pinterest // tumblr //  8tracks

If you have been affected by any of the  issues like the ones mentioned in this review or book, I really recommend that you contact Childline or something of the sort. You don't deserve to be treated badly. 

4 comments:

  1. Very informative and unique tips dear. Thanks for sharing :)
    Lovely Read!
    http://beauty2beautytips.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your blog. ive followed you. mind following back?
    also do you want to button swap?
    blog > http://thishipsterwrites.blogspot.com/
    button swap > http://thishipsterwrites.blogspot.com/p/button-swap.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds awesome! I love books that make you sympathize with characters that you don't expect to. It's akways good to get a new perspective.
    Jo x
    YourAverageJo

    ReplyDelete

i love a nice comments, feel free to leave one!! and leave your links, i love finding new blogs! xxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...